Is your workout routine getting boring? Are you no longer seeing results? HIIT may be answer! HIIT, which stands for “High-Intensity Interval Training”, is a method of exercise which involves short bursts of intense activity followed by periods of light movement or rest.
Why You Should Give HIIT a Try
- HIIT is a boredom-buster. Quick, high-energy bursts of exercise will keep your mind and body occupied.
- HIIT is a time-saver. It’s quick and effective. You will burn fat and build muscle at the same time.
- HIIT boosts metabolism. The “afterburn effect”, known scientifically as “excess post-exercise oxygen consumption,” occurs when your body uses extra oxygen and calories to return to a resting state. This phenomenon can boost your calorie burn for up to 48 hours.
- HIIT can help you overcome plateaus. The variety and intensity of HIIT will kickstart your metabolism.
- HIIT offers numerous health benefits, including improved heart health and better blood pressure and blood sugar levels.
- HIIT reduces abdominal fat. Abdominal obesity (a waist circumference of more than 40 inches in men and 35 inches in women) is linked to worse heart health.
Everyone Can HIIT
It’s important to note that high-intensity does not necessarily mean high-impact or advanced. HIIT comes in all shapes and sizes. From low-impact, beginner workouts to advanced, burpee-filled routines, HIIT principles can be applied to any fitness level. For example, two minutes of jogging followed by one minute of walking is a form of HIIT.
We’ll Help You Get Started
VHP offers HIIT classes for all levels. (Hint: Check out our “HIIT” and “Cardio Strength Interval Training” classes.) Simply click on the class description for class level and equipment requirements. Lace up your sneakers and let’s HIIT!